Tuesday 4 April 2017

Namisu Nova Brass Fountain Pen

Introduction.


Presented in the usual, classy yet understated standard that is Namisu, the box is the usual drawer type in a sleeve. On removing the sleeve, you'll find a cardboard box with a drawer that slides out from one end. The box outer is black, with the Namisu name in silver embossing on the lower right corner.
Slide the drawer out, and you'll find a felt type drawstring pouch to carry the pen in. Beneath this, in all it's shiny glory is the pen, nestled in a deep V. The box isn't padded, but the pen is securely transported from the factory to your door.
First impressions are it's big and it's heavy!!


Appearance & Design


It's a stunning pen. Obviously, being factory fresh, it's very shiny. The finish of my pen is perfect. It's smooth and there are no machine marks. Made from a piece of solid brass, it's fat, chunky and heavy. Not a pen for the faint hearted. Very similar in looks and design to the Nova Black Aluminium, the pen is what I would call a cigar type pen. Smooth lines, fat and chunky tapering off at both ends to a narrower finish, this pen makes a statement. I think the term 'Bold as brass' is a fitting statement to this pen.
The inside of the cap and barrel are also perfectly finished. Although you are likely to be the only person to see the insides of your pen, you can rest assured that the quality control is second to none.
Although brass is not a precious metal, the pen has the appearance of gold. Because of it's shine, size and colour, this pen definitely makes a statement. 9/10






Construction & Quality


My pen is perfectly machined with no unnecessary markings. The only visible line is where the cap joins the body. The threads do not interfere with my fingers when I hold the pen to write. I have not tried to cap the pen, but it is perfectly balanced uncapped. I like heavy pens, and I have big hands, so I find writing with it an enjoyable experience. However, those with smaller hands may find it less so.
10/10


Weight & Dimensions


The pen is 14.3cm Capped and weighs 90g / 3.2oz.
The pen is 66g / 2.3oz uncapped.
The widest part of the pen is at the join of the cap and body, which is 2cm.
So it's long, chunky and heavy.
10/10


Nib & Performance


The pen is supplied with a #6 Bock Stainless Steel Nib, in the usual choice of sizes. A Titanium nib can be chosen at an extra cost. I chose the standard nib in F, and it's great. I inked the converter with Iroshozuku Shin-Ryu and it writes beautifully. There's a hint of feedback, and it's not too wet or too dry. The line is fine. It ticked all the boxes for me. 10/10






Filling System & Maintenance


A converter is included, but the pen can also be used with any international long or short format cartridge. I'm unsure if it would be wise to attempt to convert it to an eyedropper, as the ink may react with the brass. However, plenty of options so 10/10


Cost & Value


The RRP is £70 UKP, but it's currently on sale at £60 UKP. If you want an 'oversize' pen, it's a good price. And P&P was free, but check the website for details here (opens in a new window) 10/10


Conclusion


9.8 / 10
If you want a pen that's big, bold and brassy, this one is sure to make a statement. Get one while you can!


Please note, I am in no way affiliated with Namisu. I purchased the pen myself, for my own personal use and collection. Fountain pens are my hobby, and I hope that this review will help someone make an informed decision before buying one. I have not been paid, nor received any reward for writing this review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment